When a person consumes alcohol and experiences allergic reactions it means the person is suffering from alcohol allergy. Some symptoms are headache, hives, nauseated feeling, skin flushing, vomiting and nasal congestion. The allergy is caused due to a genetic condition wherein the body is not able to break up the alcohol. The best way to prevent alcohol allergy is to keep away from alcohol totally.
Alcohol Allergy Symptoms
Some of the signs and symptoms of alcohol allergy are:
- Skin flushing and rash
- Nauseated feeling
- Development of hives
- Low blood pressure
- Nasal problems, such as congestion
- Severe pain
- Worsening of asthma symptoms
- Development of reddish and itchy bumps on the skin
Rarely, few cases of allergies are fatal to life i.e. anaphylactic reactions which require immediate treatment.
Anaphylaxis: Alcohol allergy can also cause fatal allergic reactions known as anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis may also show other symptoms including the above mentioned symptoms. They are as follows:
- Pain in chest or tightness
- Increase in heartbeat
- Tightness or swelling of the throat
- Severe difficulty in breathing, breathlessness
- Cramps and pain in abdomen
- Shock, low blood pressure, dizzy feeling. The affected individual may also lose consciousness.
Causes of Alcohol Allergy
Some of the causes and risk factors that increase the vulnerability to developing alcohol allergy are as follows:
- Hereditary reasons
- Some beverages contain grains, chemicals or preservatives that cause allergic reactions.
- Certain antibiotics and medicines that contain allergens which leads to allergy
- Suffering from Hodgkin lymphoma
- Allergies to other food or grains
- Intake of Antabuse can cause skin flushing, increased heartbeat, vomiting and nauseated feeling.
- People of Asian descent usually suffer from skin flushing and other symptoms after consuming alcohol.
Treatment for Alcohol Allergy
- The best and the only way to keep away from allergic reactions is to keep away from alcohol or such items that contain alcohol totally.
- Before consuming alcohol it is better to read the beverage label properly whether it contains any substance that will cause an allergic reaction. However always the label may not give details of all the substances.
- For mild reactions like alcohol rash, medicines like antihistamines can be taken. It will help to lessen the itchy feeling or hives. But antihistamines will not be able to treat severe allergy problems.
- One can also wear medical alert bracelets. It will help to inform others about the allergy problem. It will help especially when he is unable to speak due to the allergic reactions.
- One can also carry epinephrine (adrenaline) dose in case of emergency after consulting the medical experts. It is in the form of autoinjector. This autoinjector has a hidden needle which will inject one dose of the drug epinephrine when it is pressed against the thigh.
Always follow the information given by the medical expert to know the symptoms of allergic reactions and get relief from it.