Rashes are caused due to allergic reactions to allergens. It happens when the immune system of our body fails to identify some substance and reacts even though it is not harmful. Such substances are called as allergens. Allergens could be foodstuff like milk, wheat, shellfish, soybeans and nuts, pollen, dander, dust mite and molds. Some symptoms of the allergy are itchy feeling, swelling, burning sensation, inflammation of skin and in severe cases anaphylaxis. Types of allergy are eczema, hives and contact dermatitis.
Causes of Allergy Rash
Allergens cause allergic reactions. Some of them are:
- Food: food items such as milk, wheat, shellfish, soybeans and nuts
- Dust mites
- Insect bites
- Sometimes plants such as poison ivy can also cause allergic reaction.
Symptoms of Allergy Rash
Some of the common symptoms are:
- Inflammation of skin
- Burning sensation
- Redness and swelling, red bumps
- Anaphylaxis in serious cases. It is fatal.
Types of Allergy Rash
There are three main types of allergy rash:
- Eczema: Usually small children are affected by severe eczema. Person may experience allergic reactions such as itching, rubbing and frictions with clothe in body areas like knees, cheeks, elbow, elbow, scalp. Eczema results in inflammation of skin, severe itchy feeling and excoriation. It is also called as atopic dermatitis.
- Contact dermatitis: Contact dermatitis occurs when the skin comes in contact with allergens like poison oak, ivy, soap, detergents.
- Hives: Hives usually appear in group and caused red, itchy bumps. It is also called as papular urticaria.
Treatment of Allergy Rash
Treatments are decided on the basis of the allergens and its allergic reactions. The best way to avoid allergic reactions is to avoid the allergen. If foodstuffs cause allergies then it is best to avoid consuming the particular allergic food. If any medicines, metals like jewelry, cosmetics or particular fabric cause allergic reactions such things should be avoided. One should never rub or scratch the affected area rather when the skin becomes itchy and red one must consult a skin expert immediately. One should ensure clean and dust-free surrounding. For babies creams or lotions as told by the doctor should be used. Emollients and antihistamines can be taken to reduce the symptoms and get relieve. If the allergies are severe then a dermatologist should be consulted immediately. Some home treatments can also be adopted. They are as follows:
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera has antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and soothing properties. It helps to cure skin rashes. Cut open the leaf of aloe vera and remove the pulp. Then apply the pulp on the rash at least two to three times a day. This treatment helps to minimize the symptoms and cure the rash.
Olive oil: Warm tablespoon of olive oil when applied in the affected area helps to heal the rash effectively.
- Some other treatments are baking soda and paste of mixture of herbs like chaparral, dandelion and yellow dock root when applied on the affected area it soothes the skin.
Allergy Rash Pictures