When a person experiences allergic reactions after consuming banana then this condition is known as banana allergy. It can happen at any time. The symptoms occur as soon as banana is consumed. Sometimes symptoms could be mild but may turn severe and immediate reactions can occur like inflammation of mouth and throat, runny nose and difficulty in breathing. It should be treated soon to avoid further allergic reactions.
Symptoms of Banana Allergy
The symptoms of banana allergy are mild, moderate and sometimes severe. When severe it needs immediate treatment. Some of the symptoms are as follows:
- Runny nose
- Stomach pain and cramps
- inflammation of mouth and throat
- Nauseated feeling
- Difficulty in breathing
Anaphylaxis: Banana allergy leads to fatal reactions known as anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis may also show other symptoms including the above mentioned symptoms. They are as follows:
- Pain in chest or tightness
- Increase in heartbeat
- Tightness or swelling of the throat
- Severe difficulty in breathing
- Cramps and pain in abdomen
- Shocked, low blood pressure, dizzy feeling, may lose consciousness.
Banana Allergy Treatment
Before treating banana allergy one should diagnose it because most of the symptoms of banana allergy are similar. Therefore doctor should be consulted and carry out the test for identification of the allergy.
The best way to avoid banana allergic reactions is to keep away from bananas. Studies reveal that children usually outgrow this allergy but if an adult experiences banana allergy then the person will have to avoid consuming banana for life.
Medicines such as antihistamines can be taken after consulting the doctor. It reduces the symptoms and brings relief.
When a person suffers from anaphylaxis then one has to consult the medical expert immediately. If a person is already an anaphylaxis patient then that person should always carry two doses of epinephrine drug. If the medical expert has advised for an epinephrine autoinjector then the patient should always carry doses of epinephrine. It should always be replaced with a new one before the date of expiry. Also there should always be extra autoinjector in case it gets damaged or lost. Patient should also know how to operate it and understand the symptoms as to when to inject the drug.
Other steps to keep away from exposure to banana and ensure quick treatment for banana allergy are as follows:
- Information: Children are usually affected by banana allergies. Therefore school authorities namely principal, teachers and other respective people should be informed in advance about the banana allergy, its symptoms and how to use the drugs. Also they should know to call the emergency care in serious case. Parents should also ensure that the child carries the drugs to school. Other family friends and relatives should also be informed about the allergy.
- One can wear medical identification bracelet (in case of serious anaphylaxis) that explains the allergy and need for emergency care.