A dermoid cyst is an extra sac-like growth in the skin, or found over the outer surface of skin,and which exists from birth. A dermoid cyst may contain several other structures such as skin glands, teeth, hair, fluids etc.
Dermoid cysts do not show tenderness andare less sensitive, unless it is ruptured.Dermoid cysts have the tendency to grow at very low pace and their common locations are the face, inside the skull, lower back, and the ovaries. Usually, the dermoid cystsoccurring on the face tend to be shallow. They can be removed without any complications. However,it is better to consult a specialist in case of rare types of dermoid cysts.
Signs of dermoid cysts
The following ways need to be adopted for removing rare type of dermoid cysts:
- Dermoid cysts located in brain:It is a rare form of dermoid cyst. If its presence affects the normal functioning of a person, then it may be removed by a specialist like a neurosurgeon.
- Dermoid cysts located in ovaries: This type of dermoid cyst develops during the fertile age-period of a woman. It can also result in medical complications like cancers, torsion, rupture,or infections. The ovarian dermoid cysts can be removed either by normal operation, or by laparoscopy. The latter is a modern surgical procedure which involves making tiny incisions in the abdomen or the pelvis, and the insertion of unique scientific medical instrumentsvia such cuts.
- Dermoid cysts of the nasal sinuses: These types of dermoid cysts are very rare. Only a few cases of nasal sinus dermoid cysts are reported every year. As the process of removal for this type of dermoid cyst is complicated, doctors use unique modern techniques for its removal.
- Dermoid cysts located in spinal cord:It is another rare form of dermoid cyst. The cysts are connected to the outer skin via aslim sinus tract that is joined to the skin via a deep hole occurring within the skin. A dermoid cyst that is located on the spinal cord is risky and prone to infection. It is also quite difficult to completely remove these types of dermoid cysts. However, the outcome of surgical corrections is quite good.
When to seek the help of a doctor
Affected persons should contact their doctors under the following circumstances:
- When adermoid cystis accompanied by pain or inflammation
- When a dermoid cyst results in disfigurement and has to be removed for cosmetic reasons.
- When adermoid cysts changes in color or size
In normal cases, a dermoid cyst needs no emergency medical care. However, when it becomes inflamed or results in fever due to rupture,or causes elevated levels of discomfort, then immediate medical attention is required to correct the situation.
Causes of dermoid cysts
- During process of fetal formation, the skin and other sections of the skin may sometimes get entangled and trapped. This results in the formation of a dermoid cyst.
- The walls of the cells that make up a dermoid cyst as well as the cells of the skin surface are almost the same.
- Dermoid cysts may also have many additional structural features such as hair follicles, sweet glands, and sometimes teeth, nerves, and hair.
- Even though a dermoid cyst is present from birth, it is not immediately noticeable as it has a very slow growth. One may only detect it during childhood or in adolescence.
- The dermoid cysts are hard and thick but painless, unless they burst.
- Dermoid cysts are not attached to the skin occurring above
- Before going for the removal of adermoid cysts, all patients should know the difference between dermoid cystsand other types of growths.
- In very few cases,adermoid cyst may grow beyond the skin and penetrate through other tissues like the oral cavity. When the doctor suspects a deep level penetration of a dermoid cyst, then he/she may suggest the use of a CT scan to diagnose the condition.The doctor would weigh the risks of removal of a dermoid cyst against the benefits of doing so.
Treatment for dermoid cysts
- The harmless dermoid cysts are removed by doctors after administering local anesthesia. The cyst and the adjoining portion is first cleaned and later it is removed by making clinical cut above the cyst. Thus, the removal of cyst will be complete and effective.
- No one should go for a self-care removal of a dermoid cyst as it may result in several medical complications such as bleeding, and infections Moreover, adermoid cyst may regrow after the self-removal. An ordinary man cannot differentiate between a dermoid cyst and other types of growth.Hence, it is not advisable to go for self-removal of any kind of cyst.
- All rare cases of dermoid cysts should always be treated by a specialist.
- Surgical removal of a dermoid cyst by a specialist, will ensure that there are no untoward medical complications. It also ensures full recovery of the patient.
Dermoid Cyst Pictures