Itchy bumps on skin are some of the most common symptoms found in skin rashes. Skin rashes may not really imply a particular illness or disease. Itchy bumps on skin, particularly the red ones can be due to fungal infections, bacterial infections or may be due to insect bites or allergies. Given below are some of the causes of itchy bumps on skin
Causes of itchy bumps on skin
1. Insect bites- Red itchy bumps on skin are associated with insect bites that of fleas, mosquitoes, bugs, mites and spiders. The bumps are formed due to toxins that are released into the bloodstream by these insects.
2. Allergic reaction- Itchy bumps on the skin can also be caused due to some foods that may not agree with you or certain medications that may trigger an allergic reaction. This can lead to raised formations on the skin and sores. If you find out that the raised, itchy bumps on the skin is due to some medication, stop immediately and see a doctor. There are also various detergents, household chemicals and soaps that can cause allergies.
3. Shingles- Shingles caused due to the varicella-zoster virus can also cause itchy red bumps on the skin. This is the same virus that causes chickenpox. Though it is said that once chickenpox goes away, it does not come back, one should know the strain of the virus remains and can come back in the form of shingles, causing itching, rash and bumps on the skin. The person may also develop burning pain in the area, headache and fever. Shingles can be treated with antiviral medication, analgesics and steroids.
4. Folliculitis- There can be little red dots on the skin trigged by the inflammation of hair follicles causing Folliculitis. This is caused due to damage to the hair follicles due to shaving, abrasion, injury to the skin etc. An eczema rash can also cause Folliculitis.
5. Hives-Hives or welts are also itchy bumps on the skin that are either red or pink These can appear and disappear on their own within a few hours. The disorder is caused due to certain antibiotics, mediation and painkillers. At times, allergens in the environment like pollen, mold, allergens in the food, stress and even climatic changes can cause hives.
6. Poison Ivy- Poison Ivy is a skin reaction to the stems, leaves and roots of the poison ivy or poison oak. The result can be in the form of itchy, red bumps on the skin. The reaction canbe seen in a day or two after the skin is exposed to the poison ivy.
7. Scabies- Scabies caused due to sarcoptes scabei mites, is a skin condition that causes pustules and blisters on the skin, soles of the feet and palm area. This is followed by intense itching. Scabies is contagious and is spread by scratching, sharing toilets, furniture, bedding, towels, clothing etc. Scabies are in the form of S-shaped tracks on the skin that are followed by insect bite type rashes.
8. Dermatitis Herpetiformis- This is the chronic skin disorder that is in the form of itchy bumps on the skin and even pus-filled blisters. Dermatitis Herpetiformis can affect the neck, back, knees, elbows and scalp. The exact cause of the skin disorder has not been found but doctors think that there is a connection to gluten tolerance.
While diagnosing the skin disorder, the doctor will look at the affected skin area, look at the rash and its intensity, ask you questions and even do a biopsy, if needed, to find out the cause of itchy bumps on skin.