Itchy eyes can imply Allergic Conjuctivities or eye allergies. There are basically two types of allergic conjunctivitis, seasonal allergic conjunctivitis and Perennial Allergic Conjunctivitis.
Seasonal Allergic Conjunctivitis can happen mostly during the spring season and during the fall, triggered due to specific allergens like pollen, weeds, leaves, grass etc. The second type of allergic conjunctivitis is called Perennial Allergic Conjunctivitis and it can happen due to exposure to allergens like dust, mold, pet hair, dander and such other household allergens. Itchy eyes caused by allergies can also cause Dry Eyes and Blepharitis. So, it is important that one seeks professional treatment quickly.
Itchy Eyes Causes
Allergic reactions trigger when the eye surface comes in contact with the allergens. The reaction causes the release of histamines which can lead to itchy eye, and other symptoms like puffy eyes, redness in the eye, and watery eyes. One should not rub itchy eyes, because that can release greater amount of histamines that can aggravate the symptoms. Also, the scratch can also cause tear and trauma to the eye.
Itchy Eye Treatment
The doctor may recommend oral antihistamines and eye drops that contain antihistamines and decongestants in them. The function of antihistamines is to stop the release of histamines that can cause itchy eyes. Decongestants can suppress symptoms associated with itchy eyes like irritation, redness, burning etc.
The over-the-counter eye drops can be effective for some four to six hours and can treat the itch quickly. Go for over-the-counter eye drops that contain both antihistamines and decongestants like Zaditor. Other prescribed medications that can relieve itchy eyes include Allegra and Zyrtec. They are good for relieving allergyin the eye, the accompanying redness, puffiness, irritation etc. Also they work rather quickly in just under 25 minutes and do not cause side-effects like drowsiness. For seasonal allergic conjunctivitis, prescribed oral antihistamines can work effectively
Prevent Itchy Eyes
Here are something that you can do to prevent getting itchy eye
1. Stay indoors, vaccum the area properly so that there is no dust, dander and hair of pets
2. Keep pets away from areas in the room that you spend most time in.
3. Keep windows closed so that there can be no influx of outdoor allergens
4. Apart from running your air conditioner, you should also keep the air ducts and filters clean.
5. If you have been in contact with substances that you are allergic to, you should take a shower so that the allegens are washed away, in case they have stuck to your skin and hair.
6. It is better to dry clothes in a drier rather than outside because allergens can stick to them.
7. The presence of pollen is high between dawn and mornings, till 10 am. So stay away from beig exposed to them during these times.
No related posts.