Disorders of the stomach give rise to stomach pain. However; it is not the only reason for pain in stomach. There are other causes as well which affect other organs in the abdomen. Pain could occur on the left or right side, organs situated in the right side of the abdomen such as right kidney, gallbladder, right ureter,right ovary and fallopian in women causes pain on right side of stomach. If a person suffers from stomach pain then it should be diagnosed and treated immediately.
Causes of pain on right side of stomach
Some of the causes of pain on right side of stomach are listed below:
- Appendicitis: Inflamed appendix causes stomach pain. Most of the people suffer from stomach pain due to appendicitis and the pain is severe and unbearable. Some of its symptoms are nauseated feeling, vomiting and fever. Appendicitis usually affects youth and teenagers in the age group of twelve to thirty years. In case inflamed appendix is the cause of pain in stomach then doctor should be consulted immediately. It is treated through surgeries.
- Ectopic pregnancy: In pregnancy, some complications arise such as ectopic pregnancy. It happens when a fertilized egg gets implanted outside the uterus; this leads to pain on right side of the abdomen. Vaginal bleeding also occurs and therefore such conditions should not be taken lightly. Instead the patient should visit the doctor quickly and get treated via medicines or surgeries as advised by the doctor.
- Diverticulitis: This condition occurs because of inflammation of diverticula in the colon. Diverticulitis can be diagnosed via the presence of symptoms like vomiting, nauseated feeling, diarrhea and constipation. The real reason for diverticulitis is not found out till date. It can be treated easily by having proper diet plan, making necessary diet changes and including high fibers in diet. One should drink lots of water to lessen the pressure in the digestive tract. Prescribed medicines should also be taken to cure diverticulitis.
- Kidney stones: Excess and severe pain on right side of the stomach could mean presences of kidney stones in kidney. This pain moves to other parts like groin and back. The pain is unbearable and is said to be very severe. In such a case one should visit the doctor quickly and opt for the correct treatment. There are many methods available to treat kidney stones such as surgeries, shock wave lithotripsy, and medications.
- Pancreatitis: When the pancreas become inflamed it causes pain in abdomen and back. The pain becomes more severe after having food or water. Signs such as vomiting, nauseated feeling and increased heartbeat are felt.To get cured from pancreatitis the patient has to be hospitalized. Medicines, proper diet and surgeries are some treatment methods adopted to stop inflammation of pancreas.
- Gallstone: Crystalline stones in gallbladder or ducts are called as gallstones. These gallstones are createdin an abnormal way and are made of bilirubin or cholesterol. These gallstones lead to obstruction in the bile ducts causing excruciating pain in the abdomen. If no symptoms are visible then there is no need for any treatment otherwise it can be treated through medicines and surgeries.
- Hiatus/Hiatal Hernia: It occurs when a section of the abdomen bulges or protrudesthrough the diaphragm. A common sign is pain on upper right side of stomach. Some other signs are pain in chest, gas, fatigue, difficulty in eating food.If such signs are visible then doctor should be consulted without delay. This can be treated through surgeries or medicines and sometimes both are required.
Some other causes for pain on right side of stomach are:
- Bowel cancer
- Ovarian cyst
- Food poisoning
- Crohn’s disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
Gastric problems such as diarrhea, constipation can be cured through home remedies and few changes in the diet plan. Other treatment options include surgery and medicines. Doctor should be consulted before having any painkiller or over-the-counter medicines. The sooner the cause for pain is diagnosed, the faster can it get treated in an effective manner. If signs such as fever, chills, vomiting and nauseated feeling are observed then it is better not to rely on home remedies and instead seek medical attention.
- Eat properly, each day on time. Follow a healthy and balanced diet. This will help to avoid stomach problems.
- It is good not to include excess spicy and hot food items in the menu especially at night.
- Drink lots of water, it is useful in treating dehydration
- To have good health, exercise is a must. One should exercise for at least fifteen to twenty minutes on a daily basis.
- Medicines should be taken only under the supervision of doctor. Most medicines also cause stomach problems as a side effect
Pain on right side of stomach due to abdominal disorders can be treated easily if the cause is detected and treated on time. A good diet plan and exercise helps to prevent stomach problems.