Subscribe:Posts Comments

You Are Here: Home » Skin Diseases » Wasp Sting Treatment, Pictures, Swelling

How to treat a wasp sting is something people should know, especially when they are regularly exposed to wasps or in an environment where the probability of getting stung by a wasp is high. A wasp sting is not only painful, it could also prove to be a frightening experience especially when a group of wasps is attacking you. Wasps tend to strike the same part which could make the stung area swell and grow in size considerably.

Learning how to treat a wasp sting is extremely important and should be done right away because delaying the treatment could put one’s life at risk. A wasp sting will give rise to a number of symptoms, some of which require immediate medical attention, or else, the patient may die.

What are the effects of a wasp sting in humans?

When learning how to treat a wasp sting, it will be helpful to know the consequences of being stung by a wasp. When an individual is stung by a wasp, he or she will immediately feel pain, irritation, redness, swelling and itching on the affected area. If the victim sustains multiple wasp stings, toxic reactions will occur which are characterized by headache, fever, hypotension, diarrhea, vomiting as well as convulsions and kidney failure under severe cases. A wasp sting can be potentially deadly in people showing severe allergic reactions within 30 minutes.  The anaphylactic reaction involves some initial effects such as abdominal cramps, hypotension, palpitations, nausea and rashes.

Why do wasp stings occur?

Being stung by a wasp can be considered as one of the worst things that can happen to anyone. Knowing how to treat a wasp sting involves understanding why and how they sting.

•      Why do wasps sting?

Wasps sting when they feel provoked or threatened, normally when their nest and territory is disturbed. They are generally more aggressive compared to bees and inflict pain on humans several times. The sting of a wasp is twice as painful as a bee sting; and the wasp’s instinctive defense mechanism triggers its body to emit a chemical which signals other wasps that threat is near. It is extremely important then to shun away from squashing or swatting on areas known to have wasps.

•      How do wasps sting?

Wasps sting their victims by simply inserting their stingers that contain venom. The amount of venom injected into the skin does not exceed 2 to 15 micrograms. It is worth noting that when wasps sting, they emit a chemical called pheromone which signals their comrades to join the attack. The sting of a wasp may become really dangerous in case the stinger breaks while infiltrating the skin.

What to do after being stung by a wasp

How to treat a wasp sting involves knowing what to do right after being stung.  The steps listed below should be followed.

•      Remove the stinger

This is the first thing that should be done right after being stung by a wasp as the stinger contains toxin which can cause significant swelling. The stinger can be removed using tweezers or stinger-removal kits that are sold in major retail stores and local pharmacies.

•      Clean the affected area

The affected area must be cleaned following the removal of the stinger so as to eliminate germs that may cause complications. The affected area will normally swell due to the toxin and it should be cleaned with water, soap and alcohol. The swelling can be controlled and reduced with ice.

•      Take over-the-counter pain medications

How to treat a wasp sting normally involves taking over-the-counter pain relievers which work in reducing swelling and pain quickly. Antihistamine creams also help.

When to bring the patient to the doctor after being stung by a wasp

Learning how to treat a wasp sting sometimes entails bringing the patient to the doctor, especially when rashes emerge along with shortness of breath and other troubling symptoms, such as nausea and swelling that exceeds 12 inches from the affected area. It could be that the patient is having an allergic or systemic reaction that could be life-threatening.

How to treat a wasp sting naturally?

There are several ways to treat a wasp sting naturally, especially for people who are not allergic to it. However, individuals with severe allergic reactions to the sting should seriously consider safety precautions when resorting to natural remedies. These remedies help in alleviating the symptoms associated with a wasp sting.

•      Poultice

A poultice made of baking soda, acidophilus and enzymes considerably reduces itchiness and swelling cause by wasp sting. Baking soda maintains the texture of poultice as well as lessens the heat and swelling, while the acidophilus works in reducing the reaction of histamines. The enzymes remove the remaining toxin.

•      Apil Mel Homeopathic

This natural remedy helps in decreasing wasp sting symptoms.

•      Lemon or vinegar

They work by neutralizing the toxin from the wasp sting.

•      Hot baths and physical exercises should be limited

This is to prevent elevating the blood circulation which will only distribute the wasp’s venom all over the body.

Learning how to treat a wasp sting is very important to avoid putting one’s life in danger as a result of delayed treatment. A wasp sting could be treated naturally but an individual must be extra cautious, especially those with allergic reactions to wasp sting.

Wasp Sting Pictures

Related posts:

  1. Angioedema-Pictures, Symptoms, Treatment, Causes
  2. Blepharitis-Pictures, Treatment, Symptoms, Causes
  3. ABO incompatibility-Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
  4. Chigger bite treatment, symptoms, pictures
  5. Flea bite Pictures, Symptoms, Treatment, Causes

Leave a Reply

© 2011 Diseases List · Subscribe:PostsComments · Designed by Theme Junkie · Powered by WordPress